Project Description

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Week 5 (3/12/17)

Well, we have finally made it to Week 5 of my Senior Research Project. According to my original project plan, Week 5 also means the conclusion of testing at BASIS. During the week, I gave all of the participants a survey to fill out, which looked at how much time they play video games on a weekly basis as well as a few other questions. In that particular survey, I also conducted a Tit-for-Tat Test where participants were given 5 pieces of candy and a choice to give (or not) a certain amount of their candy to a randomly assigned partner. After completing the survey, the participants were allowed to play a few games of Sharks and Minnows while I sorted out the amount of candy designated to each participant based on the results from the Tit-for-Tat Test. However, the survey was not the only activity that the participants took part in during the week. The participants in the video game group still competed in Vainglory for the last week of in-game stat recordings. Although the school wifi was still down on Thursday (due to OECD testing), the participants were still able to play a cooperative card game called, Sentinels of the Multiverse, which they all enjoyed.

Working with fifth grade participants every day for the past 5 weeks has been very fun and has given me a lot of experience when working with people for research. I have learned to form thorough schedules for participants so that testing would be as efficient as possible. I also learned that there needs to be some flexibility in an experiment in order to account for daily changes that may or may not be expected (i.e. wet grass, wifi connection issues, etc).

Although I have finished testing the participants, that does not mean I am not finished with my SRP. I will be completing much more research from articles, books, and research papers that pertain to my topic so that I have a greater understanding of how video games interact with people. As a result, my future weekly blogs will cover what I have read and learned. So don't worry, you'll still get your weekly readings to enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment